[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Peter Lieverdink peter at cc.com.au
Tue Apr 24 11:17:49 EST 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Hi There,
> On 24/04/2012, at 9:05 AM, James Turnbull wrote:
> David Lloyd wrote:

[snipped because I don't want to respond to the rest of this email yet, but want to put the record straight on the two points below]

> Does that mean:
>
> * We recognise the worth of these other tenuously linked activities
> and goals, and thus support them, despite our narrow focus -- perhaps
> because there isn't a peak body to support them (such as OSIA or the
> ACS or SAGE or whoever)
> * Our actual focus and goals have changed
>
> If it's the latter, we probably need to decide on that (and do that
> formally, although if the absence of goals in the constitution isn't
> an accidental ommission -- and it does seem odd that the constitution
> would have passed without any) before we decide on the name.

For the record, the constitution has nothing to do with the goals of the organisation, it's to ensure good governance, defines operational processes and legal requirements and nothing more than that.

> c) If you see the role of the organisation as putting on LCA then yes
> otherwise it's a no.
>
> Otherwise it's a discussion that we should have and it's not a
> foregone conclusion...and changing the name isn't the name of the game
> here.
>
> I would suggest we adjust our aims and objectives (formally) before we
> change the name; or at least at the same time -- and that we adjust
> the e-mail's subject such that it's a discussion about the aims and
> objectives of the organisation.
>
> Is the name change a red herring? I'd suggest it might be. This seems
> to be a deeper issue reaching far beyond what we are called - we're
> discussing our identity here and the name is only a very small part of
> that.

The aims of the organisation are listed at the top of the statement of values at http://linux.org.au/values

Cheers,

- P.