[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Mon Apr 23 15:51:27 EST 2012

Hi all,

<quote who="Paul Shirren">

> On 23/04/12 1:50 PM, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
> > The suggestion I'm putting forward is to make "Linux Australia" a
> > smaller part of an organisation that oversees many Open Technology
> > issues.  This would mean that "Linux Australia" were about Linux, and
> > would run _alongside_ e.g. PyCon and Drupal Down Under, rather than
> > _above_.
> >

> I think this is a MUCH better suggestion than a name change. As Russell
> said SPI is a good model. How about Technology in the Public Interest?
> Chuck a "South" on the end if you want to namespace it for the region.
> Have one organisation to handle all the finances and paperwork and let
> their associates get on with servicing their communities like nothing
> had changed.
>
> If something like that was being setup it would be good to consider if
> there is a better way to support associated events and orgs across the
> ditch.

Hmm, I see the validity in this suggestion, but I don't think it'd fly. LA
is already more off an umbrella org than other groups out there so
structurally it makes more sense to rename it than to create a whole new org
(with "someone" out there happy to run it). I think a rename is a far easier
transition than creating yet more overhead for some poor sucker to
administer :)

Taking that into account, it could well be worth all coming under OSIA or
the OTF (Open Technology Foundation) but personally, I think a standalone
community org is a healthy thing to have.

Cheers,
Pia