[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 13:33:46 EST 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:29, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> Indeed, people can't expect to have all the cakes in the shop - pick the one
> you want, then leave the others for someone else to claim.
>
> IOW, if the name is changed, you really have forfeited the right to keep
> exclusive to yourself the name " Linux Australia "

Why not? I would imagine that maintaining a group under the
newly-named organisation for the advocacy of Linux issues would be a
perfectly sensible course of action.  This is how the current LA is
managing its many interests across the Open Technology spectrum: There
are groups, under the auspices of LA that runs a Drupal Conference, a
Python Conference, and several Linux user groups.  All of them speak
for different groups of people, and maintain their own identity that
is entirely separate from LA.

Do you expect PyCon Australia to give up its rights to the name "PyCon
Australia" simply because it's run by an umbrella organisation with a
different name?  Your conclusion is, quite frankly, absurd.

There is absolutely no reason why a newly-named Open Tech umbrella
organisation (currently known as "Linux Australia" with a possible
name change) couldn't keep "Linux Australia" as an advocacy group.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer

Jabber: chrisjrn at gmail.com -- IRC: chrisjrn on irc.freenode.net --