[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Jon "maddog" Hall maddog at li.org
Sun Apr 22 22:26:51 EST 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 15:44 +1000, John Ferlito wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Linux Australia has been around for over ten years and we are no longer an
> organisation focussed mainly on Linux and running LCA each year. All of our
> members use or contribute to open source projects in one form or another. Linux
> Australia has also become involved in open source and open culture events that
> are not specifically related to Linux.

Have you thought about keeping the name but strengthening your byline of
"Representing Free Software and Open Source Communities"?

For example, you create a logo that has the Penguin feet and Linux Australia as you
have currently, but create a circle of the words "Representing Free Software and Open Source Communities"
and put that around the logo?

I also remember a while back there was talk of being more inclusive in another way and
joining with the New Zealanders.  If you do change the name you might consider that issue
too.

Warmest regards,

maddog