[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 16:05:45 EST 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 15:44, John Ferlito <johnf at inodes.org> wrote:

> The council wants the community to discuss this potential name change and if
> required, an appropriate name. One name that seems to accurately reflect our
> shared values and our direction is Open Source Australia.
>

> What we would like to hear from you, the membership, is your feeling about such
> a name change and if this particular suggested name doesn't resonate with you,
> is there one that's a better fit?

Such a name change does seem appropriate -- from the point of view of
someone organising a Python conference, it's quite annoying to have to
explain why "Linux Australia" would be running the conference.
Something like "Open Source Australia" would be a better fit.

My only concern is the closeness of the name to OSIA (Open Source
Industry Australia), and this could be a potential source of
confusion.

tl;dr: Name change good, but ensure that that source of confusion isn't there.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer

Jabber: chrisjrn at gmail.com -- IRC: chrisjrn on irc.freenode.net --