[Linux-aus] Stand up for Linux. Stop Microsoft killing Desktop Linux.

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Tue Sep 27 11:21:32 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-25 at 15:21 +1000, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> On 23/09/11 8:50 PM, Luke Martinez wrote:
> >
> > Yes, this message is as bleak as it sounds. I appoligise if you have
> > already seen a similar message. We need to act!
>
> I have, but considering where this could go wider discussion is
> important.

Luke's email prompted me to file a complaint with the ACCC.  I got a
response which made it obvious they had read it, but it was a
non-committal.  It contains phrases like:

  - "The situation you described may raise issues of exclusive dealing"

  - "It it is unclear from the details provided whether it would be
    likely to meet the competition test"

  - "It is important to note that the ACCC cannot pursue all the
    complaints it receives."

Maybe receiving a few more complaints on the same issue will address the
last point,  spurring them onto looking into it further.  If you do send
a complaint, you could possibly have less "setting the scene" waffle
than I did and instead devote more of the 1500 characters they give you
to making it plain why it is indeed a breach of the exclusive dealing
provisions, thus addressing the 2nd point above.

Here is the entire response to the complaint I lodged.  It contains my
original complaint at the end: