[Linux-aus] Diaspora pod for LA?

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 25 20:29:40 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 19:06 +1000, Mike Carden wrote:
> Hi Ben.
>
> I think I stopped watching Diaspora six months ago.  So I'm sorry if I
> seem vague. What would LA need to supply and how would our members
> benefit?

I've been meaning to get into Diaspora more for about the last 6 months.
I'm open to other suggestions for OSS friendly, ownership friendly
social networking software. I'm not affiliated with Diaspora in any way.

I should mention that I have a personal pod, but have to do some
tinkering to get it to federate properly. I was hopeful that some others
on the list might be more fluent with Diaspora.

My goal would be to make Diaspora appear as a filesystem, so sharing
images, etc could be done simply and without surrendering ownership of
them to the hosting site.

LA would need to supply somewhere that hosts the pod of which I think
the bandwidth would be the major factor. I would imagine a high profile
pod like one from LA would be subject to attack, so somebody fluent with
defending a RoR server would also need to be keen on the idea. The
member benefits would be social networking with a clear ownership
policy.