[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Values published

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Fri May 13 14:16:37 EST 2011

Hi Mike

----- Original Message -----
> After much discussion and consultation with plenty of truly excellent
> contributions, the LA core values statement has been published.
>
> http://linux.org.au/values

Good stuff!

One comment. English is a very ambiguous language, and we're well aware the word 'free' is a nice example. In the below paragraph, its use appears to be mixed and thus make things more confusing.

> Freedom
> We value freedom in the use and development of open technologies.
> This includes freedom of expression within accepted community norms.

Here the word freedom is used, good.

> We strongly encourage the use of free software and free culture copyright licenses.

Here free is used in the context of freedom (libre)

> We value free access to, sharing of and repurposing of information,
> in particular that information held by the public sector.

But here it's not so clear.
Are we talking about availability (freedom/libre again), or price (gratis) ?

Can this please be disambiguated? thanks!

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Remote expertise & maintenance for MySQL/MariaDB server environments.

Follow us at http://openquery.com/blog/ & http://twitter.com/openquery