[Linux-aus] World ipv6 day

John Ferlito johnf at inodes.org
Thu Jun 9 21:52:04 EST 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 02:36:24PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Stephen Walsh wrote:
> Is it true that IPv6 requires javascript?
>
> All of the web pages that I have found, to test for IPv6
> compatibility, appear to require javascript, indicating that
> javascript is required, to be compatible with IPv6.

Those pages are most likely using javascript to test if you have IPv6
connectivity so that they can tell you that you are IPv6 enabled.

To actually server a page up via IPv6 you just need to have a AAAA
record in DNS. Which is basically what everyone involved did on IPv6
Day.

johnf at zoot:~$ dig a linux.org.au

;; ANSWER SECTION:
linux.org.au.   300 IN  A 202.158.218.246

johnf at zoot:~$ dig aaaa linux.org.au

;; ANSWER SECTION:
linux.org.au.   300 IN  AAAA  2001:388:60ac::f000

Cheers,
John

--
John