[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au and Brisbane flooding

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Thu Jan 13 11:54:37 EST 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:31:32 +1000, Marco Ostini <marco at lca2011.linux.org.au> wrote:
> > If people inbound, especially international visitors, are redirected to
> > other [presumably capital cities with the] airports on their
> > itineraries, the perhaps we should start thinking about co-ordinating
> > some ad-hoc alternative events around the country to at least make them
> > feel welcome if they don't quite make it to BNE.
>
> Personally I almost find this suggestion offensive. The lca2011 team
> have worked exceptionally hard to put on an amazing conference, and it
> will take more than a flood in our CBD to kill it.

Having known Andrew for years and have being on the board of LA with him
for several of those years I know it wasn't meant to be. Andrew is big
on contingency planning and - like me - is always determined to see an
awesome FOSS event come hell or high water.

That LCA has the ability to survive large parts of the world's financial
systems going to hell and a lot of high water is pretty impressive.

(my money is on LCA going ahead - I'm really looking forward to it as
the Brisbane peeps are going to put on an awesome one).
--
Stewart Smith