[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Sun Feb 27 15:41:46 EST 2011

Hi all,

now that we have heard quite a number of opinions on list about the
donation and the perception of what the Ada Initiative is about, I'd
actually like to see something from the Ada Initiative themselves.

Don't get me wrong: I am not asking for a justification of their work,
nor am I asking to do due diligence for the donation process, nor am I
in any way shape or form implying that they should have spoken up
earlier. In fact, I thought it was very considerate of them to leave
the community to their own devices on this discussion.

However, seeing as at least one founder of the Ada Initiative is a
member of this community and is even a member on the council, it is
probably time to share some of the thoughts and intentions behind the
AI with the other members. It's better than some others on this list
guessing what you may be doing and interpreting what you have written
on the Website.

I would concretely like to avoid copying things from the website (as
we can all read) and rather provide information that is more concrete
to this community. Answers to questions such as:
* what motivated you to create the AI?
* what concrete activities are you considering in your first year?
* what are you in particular trying to do in Australia?
* are you going to do statistics and questionnaires, too, or are you
relying on other people's analysis/research work to identify
opportunities to make a difference?
* what concretely are you intending to do for this community?

I know that at least Mary will see this email and I would like to ask
her to regard this as questions of a journalistic nature - simply to
satisfy the curiosity of this community to find out more about your
aims and where people in this community could even help.

Cheers,
Silvia.