[Linux-aus] Draft Donation Guidelines

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Sun Feb 27 14:10:38 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Brent Wallis <brent.wallis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kathy,
> Kudos .....great effort!
>
> On Saturday, February 26, 2011, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de> wrote:
>

>>> *What process is used?*
>>>
>>> The entity requesting the Donation will contact Council outlining the
>>> request for Donation, the nature of the event, initiative or organisation
>>> requesting the Donation and appropriate due diligence material, such as
>>> proof of tax exempt charity status
>>
>> This part is not appropriate, since in this case it would be a grant,
>> seeing as there is a request form the organisation. The difference
>> really is that in this case, where it is a donation, the receving
>> organisation did NOT put in a request, so we should not require
>> anything from the receiving organisation. Instead, it is up to the
>> council to put together due diligence material.
>>

> I politely disagree and think this is appropriate.
> I think the wording here and after is intended to define how the
> donation process is initiated.
> Orgs solicit donations all the time by direct request and make efforts
> to promote their cause and expected outcomes.
> The difference IMHO between a grant and a donation is that
> - a grant requires the recipient to report back on outcomes.
> - there is no requirement for a donation recipient to do this...

Interesting...

I would have thought that while indeed organisations ask for donations
all the time, it's not the organisation initiating the donation
process, but somebody in LA that reacts to this donation request that
is the initiator. It's this LA member that should be required to
prepare information for the due diligence process, not the receiving
organisation. And indeed,there probably would be no need for a report
on what has been achieved with the money, since the organisation would
realistically do reporting about their general activities for the year
anyway.

I'm thinking about this in the same way as when somebody in a company
wants to get their company to donate money to e.g. LA. That person
would be required to make a case and get the material together
(possibly by asking the donation recipient for help or making use of
existing material form that organisation that helps the
decision-making, but it wouldn't be a requirement on the
organisation).

For a grant request, the recipient is indeed much more directly
involved in asking for the money and reporting on the outcomes.

Cheers,
Silvia.