[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Aus etc

Tom Eastman tom at eastman.net.nz
Fri Feb 25 11:02:38 EST 2011

On 25/02/11 10:39, Elspeth Thorne wrote:

> Perhaps my experience is unique. I rather doubt that, however.

:-(

In my postgraduate computer science papers, I think we had about a
half-dozen females. In a class of about 25 that's actually not too bad
by computer science standards.

They are *smart*, and they worked their asses off. And it's pretty hard
to claim that they were disinterested in computer science, if they were
at the postgraduate level.

Now, seven years later, I'm pretty sure the number of them that have
current careers in IT or computing is exactly zero.

Anecdotal, sure. Not even 100% reliable (some of them I've not been in
touch with in some time, but they had had to switch careers when last I
talked to them).

But a 100% attrition rate is something that it would be great to
improve, in any way possible.