[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Jon Jermey jonjermey at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 13:32:46 EST 2011

I tend to agree with David, to the extent that I think the first goal
of the ADA Initiative should be to establish whether there IS a
problem: i.e. are there qualified women who would like to be further
involved in ICT, if so, what are the factors preventing them from
doing so, and are these factors different for the different sexes? And
I'd like to see the answers backed up with verified objective data. So
if that is going to be part of the first proposal for funding I am all
for it. But as David points out, assuming there is a problem without
submitting any evidence of it is putting the cart before the horse.

> So from this can I assume that you don't find the fact that there is such a massive imbalance to be a problem?

A 'problem' is some rectifiable state of affairs that harms or
distresses people. You have yet to show that a) anyone is harmed or
distressed and b) that the state of affairs is rectifiable.

Jon.