[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Dave Davey daved at windclimber.id.au
Mon Feb 21 18:16:44 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 09:46:16AM +1100, Donna Benjamin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The council has decided to support the Ada Initiative with a donation of
> $5000.00  (http://adainitiative.org)
>
> First let me say I reckon that's fantastic - but then I wholeheartedly
> support the aims and ambition of the Ada Initiative and it's founders
> Mary Gardiner and Valerie Aurora. I have provided support by way of a
> little graphic design, and I have agreed to sit on the advisory board.

I suspect that the personal contact with the founders allows for a more
informed judgement.  I've read much of the website and don't get
a good sense of how the money would/will be used.  There's mention of
the provision of free advisory services, and also of the need for
organisations not to rely solely on staff working on a voluntary basis.
So I could infer the money will be used for salaries (where it wouldn't
go far), but I can't really see what the projects will be, other than
in a very general sense.

I'm also not clear where the organisation is based, especially as the
mention of incorporation includes "501(c)(3) non-profit" (American
Tax Law) and IRS (again American) in terms of possible tax deductable
donations.

So if someone wanted my opinion as to whether Linux-Aus should support
the Ada-Initiative, I couldn't answer.

Dave

--
David F. Davey
D'Entrecasteaux                                       Phone: +61 3 6267 4852
Australia                                            daved at windclimber.id.au