[Linux-aus] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Feb 19 22:50:28 EST 2011

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Simon Lyall <simon at darkmere.gen.nz> wrote:
> However I think the suggested policy above is going a little too far. The
> most practical problem would be that a little stamp on a person's badge is
> not going to be viable more than a couple of metres away (and straight
> on). So anyone taking crowd, group, angled or action photographs is not
> going to be able to check badges before going ahead.

Has anyone suggested that group photos be banned?  The discussion that I have
seen seems to be all based on the assumption that one individual is being
photographed.

I agree that a little stamp isn't going to work well, a black circle of
reasonable size will do better.

Another possibility might be to put some coloured cellophane inside the badge
holder in front of the badge.  That would make the entire badge be a coloured
indication of the photography status while not obscuring the text.

> There are a bunch of other objections too. I really can't believe we are
> discussing a policy that involves tacking a person, holding them down and
> deleting their data before banning them just for taking a photograph[2].

We aren't discussing such a policy.  One person has suggested it and no-one
has supported that suggestion.

A policy that specifies exactly what to do in regard to infractions seems like
a bad idea.

One thing that I think should be mentioned is that upskirt photography does
seem like reasonable grounds for confiscating the camera.  But like any other
form of sexual assault, it's just a matter of preserving evidence and
detaining the offender until the police arrive.