[Linux-aus] Photography (was Re: Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful)

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 20:52:16 EST 2011

On the photo thing. I carried a thumping great DSLR every day at LCA
and quietly acquired a few images.

On one occasion, I sought a candid shot of a group of iconic people
and as I opened the shutter, the person nearest to me expressed her
dismay. I immediately approached her and showed her the shot. I
deleted it as she watched and asked if I might take a more considered
image. She assented.

To be fair, the second shot was crap. Actually, first one was too. :-)

I have learned from this. One - I'm at best a very average
photographer. Two - In some contexts it is critically important to
have consent from the people you are photographing. When you wield a
camera, turn your person-to-person sensitivity up at least three
notches.

--
MC