[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] Notes for Council Meeting 2010/02/17

Peter Lieverdink me at cafuego.net
Mon Feb 22 13:32:49 EST 2010

----- "Steve Walsh" <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:
> Peter Lieverdink wrote:
> > ----- "Andrew Ruthven" <andrew at etc.gen.nz> wrote:
> >
> >> I've been suggesting this to everyone who will listen.
>
> So that fell down in that by the time the LCA2010 team needed access, it
> had been quite some time since they were in Australia, and could have
> visited a Westpac branch, gotten IDs, and signed all the necessary
> paperwork. Adding people to bank accounts with multiple signatories is
> a long and (partially necessary) convoluted process,and not something
> that can be done over the phone.
>
> > An account yes. Is there such a thing as "the" account? There wasn't
> > one for 08. Don't know about 09. 07 had one... perhaps the legacy one
> > is the 07 one.
>
> There is 1 (one) LCA account, that gets transferred from year to year.
>
> It was named LCA2007 in 2007, LCA2008 in 2008, and oddly enough,
> LCA2009 in 2009, which is the name it still has.
>
> Yes, the LCA2008 team did not get access to an account. That was the
> decision of one or two council members who wanted to see if it the team
> needed the access, or if the council could deal with all the banking.
>
> The result was: Yes, they needed access, and No, the council could not
> deal with all the banking, but the decision was reached far too late to
> be able to change the signatories without the risk of the change
> impacting on everything (mainly due to paperwork that was lost/missing
> with westpac).
>
> > Wouldn't it be relatively easy for the winning team to set up an
> > account at a *local* Westpac branch as soon as they know they've won
> > and have the relevant council members added shortly after the
> > election? When LCA is over and the finances are done, move what's left
> > back to the LA account and close that LCA account.
> >
> > It's not as if the LA ctte necessarily need full access to the LCA
> > account. Just read-only is fine. All LA need to do is make sure the
> > LCA account has enough money in it to pay bills.
>
> In previous years there has been a transaction limit on the LCA account,
> so that transactions over a ceiling required one of the 4 token
> holders to sign off on. It wasn't because we didn't trust people, it was so
> that the council could undertake due diligence and governance, and be aware
> of, and sign off on, $40k leaving the conference account. I'm sure the
> LCA2009 team members that are on the list can advise if this requirement
> was onerous or not.

That's easy fixed by LA not putting $40k in that account if it doesn't need to go out ;-)

Even so, one or two LA council members can easily be added to an account set up by the winning LCA team. That's just a matter of filling out and signing the right papers and the LCA team taking them to their branch.

I'll add this to the next LA council agenda.