[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au domain Was: Linux Australia Council teleconference minutes for 050309

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Wed Mar 18 15:35:34 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 06:17:35PM +1100, John Ferlito wrote:
> I would like to propose the following.
>
> * The domain for each LCA is lca20XX.linux.org.au
> * linux.conf.au when it works sends a 301 [permanent redirect]
> * linux.conf.au should never appear as a URL in any marketing material

Pretty close to the idea. I think that http://conf.linux.org.au should
also point to the current conf (the same place that linux.conf.au does).

I love the linux.conf.au domain, and I love it as the name of the
conference. We should make sure that people can always get to a site
about the conference using a constant domain name.

We will no doubt always have people going to both - and we should
support this. I would love to have linux.conf.au available all year
round - but we are just currently unable to get that.

> We do not want anyone linking to URLs/Google caching URLs that don't
> exist for half the year.
>
> We decided on this policy in 07 due to the instability of the
> linux.conf.au domain but our advice seems to have fallen through the
> gaps since then.

This is why Steve is writing up a policy, so in future it's just "this
is what we do" and I never have to have another domain name discussion
again :)

--
Stewart Smith