[Linux-aus] LA's SFD CD Run

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Fri Aug 28 21:20:18 EST 2009

On 25/08/09 20:03, Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:
>> You make a good point here about the difficulty of measuring the
>> results of Software Freedom Day activities. I gave out a lot of CDs on
>> SFD 07 and spoke with many people. I have no way of knowing whether I
>> made a difference anywhere or not. I don't recall seeing anyone turn
>> up for a CLUG meeting as a result of SFD, though it may have happened.
>
> Perhaps an ISO image that (when booted live off the CD) would bring up
> the browser and point to your LUG site's "Newbie" page would be one way
> of making sure they had booth the distro and the information about your
> web site.

That's why I modified the original SFD 2008 CD label picture to include the
Software Freedom Day URL, the Open CD URL, and I thought I'd added the Linux
Australia URL (maybe in a later release to that CD picture) as well as the
Linux Australia logo and a message.

We also ran (and will run) an InstallFest the week after Software Freedom Day,
and gave away fliers with information about what the InstallFest was about,
how to get to the room, and what to bring.

I totally follow Russell's script - I start by saying "Like to try some free
software?" and when they immediately ask "what is it" then I can explain away
exactly as he describes.  This works as a killer introduction.  The first
thing you're doing, as well, is literally giving them something for free -
this gives them a focus point to look at.  If they're holding it, they already
have some (small) degree of ownership, and then you can explain from there.

Have fun,

Paul