[Linux-aus] LA's SFD CD Run

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Mon Aug 24 23:21:41 EST 2009

Hi Folks

Every year, LA is asked to do a run of varying numbers of Open CD's (or
equivalent) for the SFD events as part of our yearly team assistance
(along with provide PLI coverage, etc). However, it's always a bit of a
stab in the dark about the exact numbers needed for each team. An
example was last year, where the initial figure of 50,000 CDs was
raised, which was scaled back to 8,000 CDs, resulting in some teams
having their initial request doubled (or in some cases quadrupled), and
getting far more than was needed for a SFD run.

Some of these groups still have boxes of in various people's lounge
rooms, garages, etc, which are branded for SFD 2008, which are now
heading towards landfill, a not very ecologically sustainable practice.

The LA Council spent a fair bit of time discussing this issue at our
Face to Face meeting earlier in the year, and came up with a solution,
which this email is outlining. Linux Australia will order up to 2500
Blank, Professionally (ie - CMYK Silk Screen) printed CD's with a
Generic(ish) artwork for use by each LUG *or* SFD teams to distribute
open software to members of the public. I'll elaborate more on the
artwork below.

These CD's will be provided blank to LUGS for then to burn with software
or a pre-built ISO (opendisc, etc) of FOSS software for events as they
need. Whilst some people argue that a blank CD is next to useless as it
still needs to be burnt with data, taking time, a LUG or SFD team could
knock over burning 1500 Disks over the course of a planning meeting or
two (we are all having planning meetings, right?), and then burn more on
the day as they get mobbed and run low. As a LUG runs low, Linux
Australia will order a "topup" run of CDs to allow these to be an "on
going" resource for LUG's to use at things like Install/fix-fests, cake
stalls, etc.

I know at least one person in a LUGComms meeting has raised concerns
that the artwork will be "Sharpie Quality" ( ie - each CD scrawled on
with magic marker), but it is intended that the artwork will be
professionally screen printed in CMYK onto the CD's by a
duplication/printing firm, but with a generic title (ie - "The Open
software disc", etc), meaning that the media can service a number of
uses over the year, while still maintaining a polished and effective
appearance.

What we would like is you, the Linux Australia community, to send
through some ideas or drafts for the CD artwork. Go wild, but keep in
mind it needs to fit a normal 8cm CD, and contain a brief explanation of
what we're trying to do and achieve. For those who may not have seen the
artwork for last years SFD run, it can be seen at
http://mabula.net/sfd-2008-cd-label.png

As always, we want to hear your feedback, so please let us know if you
think this is tha bomb, or is just bomb, if you'd all prefer year
specific CD's run off each year with a fixed content, etc.

Thanks

Steve

--
--==--