[Linux-aus] LCA bids -- wonderful presentation, but to what purpose?

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Wed Sep 10 01:26:18 EST 2008

Donna Benjamin wrote:

> When you suggest the aesthetic presentation is without value to the
> process of choosing a bid you are insulting the work of people who do
> this for a living. Perhaps you are saying that Melbourne delivered a
> poorer conference due to being the first to put together such a bid?
>
> As someone who _did_ put 2 years into working on LCA I take this
> criticism somewhat personally.

Hi Donna,

My concern is is simple -- to what extent (if any) the annually increasing
presentational effort required for linux.conf.au bids is counter-productive.

I regret that you considered my expression of that concern personally
and professionally insulting.  That was not my purpose.

My apologies for not being plain enough that my concern is not related
to any particular conference or bid, but to the broad trend across
many past years and where this trend may take us in the future.

My intent is simply to bring the trend to the attention of the Linux
Australia Committee and to encourage them to explicitly consider if the
trend is to be encouraged or discouraged.

For that reason I am very happy with the range of views (both pro and
con) and the quality of discussion in the responses to my initial
e-mail.

Best wishes, Glen

PS:
In the spirit of full disclosure I'll note that I've got a tiny amount of
self interest here, as South Australia is likely to bid in future years.
But I really doubt this matters, because if Linux Australia do decide a beauty
pageant is desirable then I'll be more than happy to demonstrate that us
children of the Adelaide Festival and Fringe have superior wordsmithing,
photographic, page layout, painting, film-making, filk-singing and street
theatre ski11z :-)

--
  Glen Turner   <http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/>