[Linux-aus] Grant request: BarCampCanberra

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Thu Mar 20 00:50:05 EST 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:41:39AM +1100, Simon Pascal Klein wrote:

> On 19/03/2008, at 11:05 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 at 22:15, Simon Pascal Klein <klepas at klepas.org>
> > wrote:
> >> Date: Wednesday 19, March 2008.
> >>

> >> Project Name: BarCampCanberra
> >>

> >> Aim of Project: To hold Canberra's very first BarCamp at the
> >> Australian National University on the 19th of April (2008). Although
> >> we want to keep the conference a green day (little to no paper),
> >> we're
> >> still hoping to provide conference t-shirts from Cafepress, water to
> >> attendees and most importantly wireless Internet access given the
> >> strong web focus of the conference.
> >
> > Cafepress are hideously expensive, and aren't local either (foreign
> > companies,
> > boo! :p ). Have you considered other suppliers?
>
> We contacted the only (as far as we know) bulk t-shirt printer/
> supplier here in Canberra and they were way too expensive. Cafepress
> thus far are the cheapest option. I think it has something to do with
> Canberra such a tiny hole, whereas in larger cities like Sydney/
> Melbourne there are bound to be more of such businesses that compete
> with one another to drive the price down.
>
> As far as money going to the States, well need it more than us at the
> moment. *tongue-in-cheek*

There are around 5 to 10 Canberra Schwag companies that willl do t-shirt
printing, they can do a quote and then get the job done.

The mob we used for LCA 2005 (and that CORC used to use a lot for MTB events
with 2000 - 3000 people) is Paddywack at Fyshwick, I find Bill Slocum (the
owner) reasonably good to deal with.

I do not know the cost of shirts from Cafepress, however Small runs of
around 20 to 40 t-shirts with a custom three colour logo are likely to be a
AUD $200 setup and around AUD $20 or $25 per shirt.

However dso not quote me aas I am going of vague mmemory and usuaully am
involved with orders for 500 to 3000 t-shirts (gets hte price down to $13 or
$14 per shirt sometimes)

Anyway give them a call and get some quotes. Also I can get you contact
details for two or three other companies in Canberra if I bother looking
through old notes for LCA and various clubs I am involved with.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
i've mapped out my course, looks like it's all uphill