[Linux-aus] Council of Australian Linux User Groups

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Mar 16 13:43:43 EST 2008

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Donna Benjamin wrote:

> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:42:01 +1100
> From: Donna Benjamin <donna at mel8ourne.org>
> To: lugcomms at lists.linux.org.au, Linux Australia <linux-aus at linux.org.au>,
>     ctte at linux.org.au
> Subject: [Linux-aus] Council of Australian Linux User Groups
>
> On Friday I had a chat with Ben Powell of Taslug who has embarked on
> organising next year's linux.conf.au. He reminded me of a post he made
> back in October 2006. As he's gunna be a bit busy over the next 10
> months I agreed to pick up his suggestion and wave it around again.
>
> http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2006-October/014417.html
>
> Forming a council of oz-lugs was roundly applauded as A Good Idea.
>
> The ensuing thread raised questions regarding how much it might cost,
> whether or not it should or could be run in conjunction with
> linux.conf.au, whether or not it needed to be F2F or would an online
> meeting do.
>
> Whatever ends up making sense I reckon we should do it.
>
> There's 3 steps.
>
> 1. Convene an IRC / teleconf meeting with a rep from as many
>   LUGs as we can manage to get together at the same time.
> 2. Keep discussion going on the lugcomms mailing list
>   (possibly seeded with meeting reports / talk announcements?)
> 3. Build toward an F2F meeting / workshop to take place mid year.
>   Agenda could include things like:
>   a] software freedom day ideas sharing and joint promotion strategies
>   b] reviving Regional Delegates Program
>   c] lug best practice - models of association (none to inc.)
>   d] Cross-lug building ideas and strategies.
>   e] Wish list of speakers to get LA to invite to do a tour of oz-lugs.
>   f] LUG infrastructure: lug-in-a-box, websites, planets & mail lists.
>   g] How to bid to host LCA.
>   h] Insert other random idea here.
>
> The trick here is that 1 and 2 have to happen before we even contemplate
> asking Linux Australia to think about spending money on 3.
>
> That said - Spending money on 3 _is_ a good idea. There is value in
> getting everyone together Face-to-face. I'm willing to put together a
> cost-estimate for LA council so they can evaluate whether or not it
> would be worth the required level of investment.
>
> First Task is to convene the COALUG IRC meeting, and invite relevant
> people to subscribe to lugcomms at lists.linux.org.au
>
> How does a Wednesday in a month or 2 sound?
> 8pm-9pm Eastern Time and not a minute longer.
>
> Who else would like to help make this happen?
>
> - Donna

1. What is F2F? It sounds like sometyhing that "is not family oriented",
and, "not suitable for people under the age of 18".

2. Isn't this proposed "Council of LUGS", what Linux Australia was
supposed to be, where each state had its state body, with Linux
Australia being a federation of such organisations?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."