[Linux-aus] Council of Australian Linux User Groups

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 11:53:46 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
<sridhar at dhanapalan.com> wrote:

>  How open would the list and IRC meetings be? How would we determine who is
>  welcome? I take it that each LUG appoints a representative, and only those
>  reps are allowed on the mailing list and IRC channel?
>
>  This becomes even more important when funding a F2F meeting. Do we have
>  representatives from all 30+ LUGs present? How do we define a LUG? Is there a
>  requirement of membership size? Does the group have to be specifically
>  focused on Linux and/or FOSS?

perhaps focus on things which can be done for any number of lugs.
things like lug in a box are not restrictive to do for any number of
groups even if they are fledgling
there are several fledgeling groups in SA
i think it would be great to pick things which help people to make a
go of a small group
rather than to scope support for larger groups
regional floss wrangling is a nifty thing.

there are currently the following things happening in sa that i know
of others may be happening:
linuxsa monthly talks mixed level often technical
sturt street linux supporters group monthly beginners howtos
limestone coast starting
naracoorte air stream wireless
bettong mt barker/airstream random wranglings
victor harbor startingbeginners howtos and mixed level
teen challenge murray bridge linux courses ingots
the hut community centre linux courses ingots
air stream wireless
southern vales quiet atm beginner and mixed level
and also there are events related to itshare and airstream happening
in bridgewater and in mawson lakes.
today there was a barcamp in bridgewater which was a really nice day
we are planning to do a barcamp per month
just a one day show and tell kind of event.
next one is planned for mawson lakes on sunday april 20 yay paul schulz
the olpc folks have been working on xos at the barcamp

there is some overlap of membership in some of the groups
there is often a location based reason for different groups
some things are for beginners
some things are more hands on some are more social
there are for eg Adelaide release parties for ubuntu
print runs of cds with free software would be handy
perhaps it could be done as a fund raiser with lugs putting some cash
in to get a share of the run.
it should be cheaper to do a large run but it might cost more again
for posting them out.