[Linux-aus] New ABC services

ajdlinux at gmail.com ajdlinux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 00:19:40 UTC 2008

On 3/12/08, Andrew Donnellan <ajdlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In case you haven't heard the ABC is launching some new online
> services over the next few months[0] which sound really awesome:
>
> * ABC Playback - three online high quality customisable TV channels
> * ABC Shop Downloads - digital versions of various ABC products

OK, now that the Playback site has gone live, I can tell a bit more:

* Flash-based
* Designed for 1.1Mbps connections and up, 650kbps streaming video
* As with NOW, their FAQs state that they haven't found a 'robust and
secure' tool for making a Linux version. I'm not sure what they
mean... I'm sure there'd be some way to make a SWF version for those
of us who are happy to install Flash player.

My main concern is with the Shop Downloads, which goes online on the
18th.[0] The site indicates you can 'buy or rent' their content
through the ABC Commercial integrated download manager and media
player. I think that means DRM, and that's going to be a lot more
problematic to port to Linux, and indeed is a bad thing in itself,
particularly for a public broadcaster.

Andrew

[0]http://shop.abc.net.au/html/downloads/default.shtm

--
Andrew Donnellan <>< ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom
http://linux.org.au http://ajdlinux.wordpress.com