[Linux-aus] New ABC services

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 11:14:36 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

In case you haven't heard the ABC is launching some new online
services over the next few months[0] which sound really awesome:

* ABC Playback - three online high quality customisable TV channels
* ABC Shop Downloads - digital versions of various ABC products

This sounds to me like what the BBC did with the iPlayer.

However, from what I gather from their videos, it seems that the new
services will use Flash and/or some form of DRM - a 'rent' option is
available for the shop downloads - and probably isn't too
FLOSS-friendly.

While of course the ABC is too far in the development of Playback and
Downloads right now to make something more Linux-friendly, I suggest
we start a bit of petitioning and formal complaining about it.

I'm too busy at the moment to do much, but if someone else wants to
start a petition or make some formal submissions somewhere that'd be
great. It's taxpayers' money being spent here, and probably quite a
lot of it...

(Other than that, Playback looks very interesting. I'm looking forward to it.)

Andrew

[0] http://www.abc.net.au/corp/pubs/media/s2187388.htm

--
Andrew Donnellan <>< ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom
http://linux.org.au http://ajdlinux.wordpress.com