[Linux-aus] [Osia-discuss] Re: OOXML support (was: If you could ask Microsoft a question...)

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Tue Jan 15 02:19:22 UTC 2008

The way to get your word processor forward in the market
has always been to offer broad document format compatibility
and to use your own native format (so not be be beholden to
the dominant manufacturer for your own product's features).

The FOSS word processors are no different, as the competitive
forces haven't changed since WordPerfect displaced WordStar
(competing against a dominant manufacturer with huge installed
base).

DOCX is just another format to support.

It looks like the FOSS word processors will all converge on ODF
as their native format. This is a good thing as it allows other
FOSS tools to interwork with all FOSS-generated documents. For
example, gnumeric does fine statistically-correct graphs and
I'll be very greatful for the day when I can past them into
presentations in a native vector format.

This doesn't mean that I'm at all happy about Microsoft's
efforts to have its new document format become an international
standard -- it lacks the quality to be anything of the sort
and there's already a standard anyway.  Nor am I happy about
Microsoft's blatant misuse of the international standards
process, even if ECMA encouraged that abuse.