[Linux-aus] [Osia-discuss] Re: If you could ask Microsoft a question, what would it be?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Jan 12 18:56:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 04:18:37AM +1100, Jiri Baum wrote:
> Why SLUG is falling for it, I'm not sure; most likely, it's built on a
> culture of cooperation and openness and simply doesn't have the necessary
> defences.

Alternatively, it may have sufficient layered defences that in the event
that it does let a trojan horse within its walls, it's still not the
end of Troy.

The most optimistic view you could take is that it's got such good
penetration and subversion abilities that letting enemies enter within
its walls is more likely to convert them into friends than provide an
opportunity for no good.

(To my mind, if you're afraid alternative views being heard and debated,
you're going to lose the argument anyway; otoh, there's no point rehashing
the same old argument five hundred times, either. I've no idea whether
a MSFT visit to SLUG/LUV would be either of these.)

Cheers,
aj