[Linux-aus] [Fwd: Re: [AUUG-Talk]: Query about "unincorporated successor AUUG's" and AUUGs domain]

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Sun Feb 17 10:49:24 UTC 2008

Steve is correct in his assertion as to the rationale for AUUG of days
gone by. Of course there was also a good deal of geeky content at AUUG
at least in the very early days before Unix became a mainstream
commercial OS. Many of the people involved in those early days of AUUG
were also involved in Unix kernel development.  Indeed Linus' first trip
to Aus was to go to an AUUG conference as I remember.

Steve is also correct wrt membership of LUG's... in particular in my
experience with PLUG here in Perth.  Most PLUG attendees are "average
new Linux user" types in need of help with Linux on the desktop. That
said there seem to be professional users on the PLUG mailing list but I
get the feeling that most of them are also members of SAGE where their
professional needs (war stories, product updates, etc.) are met.

It's not unusual to have to go to overseas conferences to meet one's
professional development needs so what's the problem with Australian
Unix professionals having to do so for topics thus far catered to by
AUUG?  I go overseas for conferences for which there's no Australian
equivalent as do many others (even regular AUUG or linux.conf.au
attendees) whether "professional" or developers or whatever.

If AUUG is dying I feel linux.conf.au and Linux Australia have no
obligation to fulfill AUUG's prior focus and might do well to completely
avoid it on principal.  That way the AUUG aficionados can quietly find
another venue if/when AUUG dies and we can all stop discussing trying to
please everybody...

Just my 5c (no 2c coins now!),
P.