[Linux-aus] 2020 Summit - Linux Community representation

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Fri Feb 15 04:53:50 UTC 2008

<quote who="Marco Ostini">

>> As it's all about individual self-nomination,
>
> Nope. Wrong.
>
> "If you are interested in participating in the Australia 2020 Summit as a
> delegate on 19-20 April 2008 in Canberra, or wish to *nominate someone
> else* you believe has an important contribution to make to the discussion
> ..."
>
> Lets get organised, and coordinate the LA members to nominate the people
> we would like to attend.

There is no point nominating someone multiple times (see the bottom of the
form), and I think it makes vastly more sense for people to self-nominate
and provide interesting and relevant referees than to follow some kind of
madcap community nomination process. Participants are there as individuals,
not representatives of interest groups.

> Given that each person can only be on 3 out of the 10 workgroups, we need
> at least 5 people attending for suitable coverage.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to go for "coverage" of areas that are
not wildly relevant to our interests. There are basically only three that
are hugely relevant for us anyway.

> Lets make this a nice long list, so that we can then distil down to those
> willing and keen to participate.

Anyone interested in participating can nominate themselves, and find useful
and relevant referees (which are unlikely to be directly involved in this
community anyway). This really does not seem like the kind of process for
which a community development approach would be useful or relevant.

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2008: Istanbul, Turkey                         http://www.guadec.org/

   "There are men with an appetite for fight and a sense of occasion, and
                  then there is Waugh." - SMH, about Steve