[Linux-aus] Linux Job Searching - was: Red Hat in Australia is hiring

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Feb 5 08:52:27 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 18:48, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at dhanapalan.com>
wrote:
> > http://etbe.coker.com.au/2007/07/06/fragmenting-information-about-jobs/
> >
> > The above URL has my thoughts on the best way of addressing this issue.
> > Unfortunately my attempt to implement it failed and it seems that without
> > support from an organisation such as LCA this can't be done.
>
> If you need help, feel free to promote this to the new Committee, or try
> and build a team around the idea.

Is there anyone in particular I should contact?

> One important thing to remember about a community is that you don't need a
> Committee to get things done. Sure, it can help to have their support, but
> relying on a small group of people often just creates a bottleneck.

I tried doing it on my own but that attempt failed.

You can't get employers unless you have job seekers, and you can't get job
seekers unless you have employers.

LUV has a reasonable supply of job seekers, employers, and regular adverts on
their jobs list.  I expect that some other LUGs have similar (the Linux
Australia site wasn't as good last time I checked but at least had a higher
profile).

If I could get an existing jobs list as an RSS feed then I could kick things
off.  All it really requires is the conditions of use for one of the jobs
lists to include RSS syndication either by default or as a mandatory thing.

russell at coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development