[Linux-aus] Videoing LUG Talks

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Mon Feb 4 14:43:21 UTC 2008

Hey all,

My whole point in wanting financial reports was so we could confidently
say "yes, we can spend such-n-such if we want to", but that's no good if
we don't have good ideas about what to spend money on in the first place.

So one idea I've been tossing around for a while is having LUG talks
recorded more regularly; both for its own sake, and so when people end up
running conferences like linux.conf.au or OSDC or BarCamp or whatever,
there are local people who already have experience with getting video
recorded, encoded and up on the web.

So I was thinking that it might be interesting for Linux Australia to make
this happen as a little project. Possibly something like:

	- LUGs apply for LA to cover the cost of a video camera, a
	  DVD recorder, and other stuff useful to making video happen
	  up to $1000 or something

	- with their application, they list four talks they're going
	  to record between 1st March and 30th June, including the topic,
	  the speaker, the date/time and the venue

	- the speakers and the LUG agree to license the video and slides
	  under some free license and upload them to mirror.linux.org.au,
	  (along with slides, examples or whatever other material goes with
	  the talk)

Benefits to the community:

	- hardware to record talks at LUGs available
	- more knowledge of how to do videos around the country
	- encourages talks at LUGs
	- more videos of Linux talks on the web

What do people think?

Cheers,