[Linux-aus] 2020 summit - does open-source software have a place at the table?

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Mon Feb 4 03:00:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 11:14 +1100, Martin Visser wrote:

> * Lobby government that at least 1 or 2 open-source software leaders
> be asked to participate

I think this is exactly what the government is trying to avoid.
They are looking for 1,000 experts, not 1,000 lobbyists.

The 1,000 will be cut into groups of 10 to examine in depth
the issues facing the nation.  One of those issues will be
Internet and computing infrastructure, another will be
technical education, another will be remote health, another
will be scientific research, and so on.

If we are going to suggest people, then I suggest we put forward
people with a deep understanding of the operation and issues in
those fields.  That deep understanding implies an appreciation
for the application of free software and its philosophies.

Then we get influence on a wide range of working groups, not
just the one the LA lobbyist is assigned to.

> * Prepare a brief of how software freedom might impact on those 10
> areas outlined by the government.

A fine idea.

> (BTW I heard former WA premier Geoff Gallup mention we should be using
> smart technology at the summit to ensure that the 1000 delegates all
> have the ability to actively participate in the summit. This makes me
> think of Wiki's, AbiCollab and the like. Maybe someone whip some smart
> stuff to do this real quick ;-) )

This actually strikes me as the way in.  An approach by LA to PISA would
be well worthwhile.