[Linux-aus] 2020 summit - does open-source software have a place at the table?

Marco Ostini m.ostini at uq.edu.au
Mon Feb 4 03:24:38 UTC 2008

Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 11:14 +1100, Martin Visser wrote:
>> Can I
>> suggest that LA very quickly:-
>>
>> * Lobby government that at least 1 or 2 open-source software leaders
>> be asked to participate
>> * Prepare a brief of how software freedommight impact on those 10
>> areas outlined by the government.
>
> +1. That's the very first thing that came to my mind when I saw it on
> the news yesterday, and I was going to suggest the exact same thing.
>
> I'd be happy to help out with a submission. Anyone else interested in
> collaborating?

Yes indeed. Count me in!

I think we can leverage some of the points we raised in the LA submission
to the Federal Treasurer a few weeks ago. I intend to publish this in a
place all LA people can get to, and post the URL in the next day or so.

Without wanting to overstate it, if LA fails to get a representative in the
2020 summit, then we have profoundly failed to represent FOSS values in
Australia today. I feel we absolutely must participate.

Well done Martin for raising this issue. I was speaking to Clinton about it
last night, and you beat me to posting it to the LA list.

Cheers,
Marco