[Linux-aus] Grants Report for 2007

James Purser james at jamespurser.com.au
Sat Feb 2 00:26:15 UTC 2008

As my last action as a Committee Member I hereby submit the Grants
Report for 2007:

2007 was an extremely quiet year for Grants. According to my records we
had a grand total of four requests, one that got knocked back, one
approved and one that didn't actually seem to go anywhere.

Here they are:

February 14th: Ben Balbo requested assistance ($500.00) in running the
Melbourne Barcamp. This was approved and moves were made to extend
support to other Barcamp events.

March 15th: Ben Martin requested assistance in travelling to OLS. Was
denied on the grounds that it did not meet "Benefit to the Community"
criteria.

April 16th: Scott Ripon submitted a request for support in producing a
run of OpenCD's. While Linux Australia did agree to support this request
I believe we are still waiting on more information.

June 4th: Paul Wayper requested $70.00 to pay for Melissa Drapers travel
costs to present at Canberra LUG. Approved.

Well there you have it. For the period 2007 Linux Australia paid out at
total of $570.00 in Grants. This from a nominal base of $2000.00 per
month.

I would like to take this opportunity to urge the incoming Committee to
commit to revamping and renewing the Grants process. Done right, it is a
powerful tool in the continuing development of our community.

--
James Purser
Ordinary Committee Member