[Linux-aus] Multi-tier membership and member services

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Apr 30 17:17:15 UTC 2008

Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> Hey LA,
>
> At the AGM I proposed 4 motions, the wording of which is available here:
>
> http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/Constitutional_Amendments
>
> Amendments #1 and #4 were passed, while #2 and #3 were rejected (IIRC,
> not having notes handy). Amendment #1 was specifically to lay the
> groundwork for putting in place a multi-tier membership system that was
> documented here:
>
> http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/Multi_Tier_Membership

[snip]

I have questions about the DNS hosting specifically... How many people
out there really need DNS hosting who don't have it already? AUUG tried
something like this a while ago, and ultimately there didn't seem to be
any demand.

Perhaps some sort of light weight email survey would help measure
demand? I'd be happy to help out with something like that if desired.

Also, what are the limits for such a service? It seems like it needs to
be limited in some way... For example, is this just intended for
secondary DNS? Could I use my LA DNS hosting to host a DNS based spam
RBL? The two uses would place very different demands on the LA admin team.

Cheers,
Mikal