[Linux-aus] Making Links Conference

David Powell (Moondrake) moondrake at aanet.com.au
Thu Sep 13 10:30:02 UTC 2007

Hi All,

Haven't checked my e-mails for awhile so my response is a bit late...
but for what its worth...

James Purser wrote:
> Has anyone heard of, or attended previous iterations of the Making Links
> Conference?

Haven't been to it before, but will be presenting at this one to talk
about how FOSS software (custom GLP'd php/mysql app in a joomla wrapper)
has assisted my organisation to overcome some common challenges facing
human service peak bodies in Australia.

The non-profit sector is very susceptible to scare tactics about FOSS
(cost-blowouts, expensive consultants, command-line only etc) so the
more people talking at this about how it can and does work the better.
But I think specific examples are probably the way to go in terms of
winning them over...

I did notice an abstract up there today by someone else talking Open
source generally, the first para of which reads:

"The presentation examines the fit of Open Source solutions to an
example systems architecture for a medium sized community organisation.
It includes a discussion of the operational issues focused on the
practicality of implementing and maintaining Open Source solutions. A
brief discussion of the long term viability of particular Open Source
solutions and the movement in general is made. An examination of the
business drivers towards an Open Source solution and in particular, the
economics, is made using the same example."

Read the rest at
http://www.makinglinks.org.au/papers/detail.chtml?filename_num=162058