[Linux-aus] LA member services / multi-tiered membership

Peter Miller millerp at canb.auug.org.au
Mon May 21 04:53:11 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 20:33 -0700, Michael Still wrote:
> AUUG argued for ages that services like email addresses
> and DNS hosting were good benefits. The problem is its just not true. I
> can buy my own .info domain name for $0.99 USD, and there are lots of
> free DNS hosting services out there (although I would probably just use
> my web host).

I think this is only partially true.

While it is possible for me to get
random-miller-gibberish-and-assorted-crap.org for $0.99 there's only a
limited supply of short and aesthetic and descriptive domain names with
"miller" in them.  The org.au and id.au prices are much higher: cheapest
I've found so far is $15pa.  There being about 1M "Peter Miller"s on the
planet, and only a limited number of
miller.{edu,org,asn,com,id,net}.{au,nz,uk,us,...} domains, giving a
shortfall of about 1M.

Where there is scarcity, there is (potential) demand.

Personally, I think pmiller at opensource.org.au would be (a) short, and
(b) fairly descriptive.

Regards
Peter Miller <millerp at canb.auug.org.au>
/\/\*        http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"The disco ball is spinning, but no one's home." -- Final Cut Pro easter
egg