[Linux-aus] Incorporating an open source geospatial organisation

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Mon Jul 16 08:23:08 UTC 2007

Del wrote:

> You should be incorporating as a company limited by guarantee if you
> are going to operate in all states, not as an association in each
> state.  It's far cheaper and much less paperwork.

acs is incorporated in the ACT only and is a national organisation.  the
only requirement is that the public officer must live in the state in
which the association is incorporate, so our Public Officer is a canberran.

Similarly Electronic Frontiers Australia is incorporated in SA and I am
the public officer and this too is a national organisation.

I dont know the whys and the wherefors of company limited by guarantee
vs incorporated association, perhaps its in the protections afforded to
directors although i've never felt threatened as a director of either
organisation, but perhaps that's the old 'ignorance is bliss' :)

 From a cost perspective, its $120-ish vs $1000-ish.

cheers
brenda

--