[Linux-aus] Press Release: linux.conf.au 2008 - Keynote Secured.

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Tue Jul 3 00:05:19 UTC 2007

Press Release: linux.conf.au 2008 - Keynote Secured.
Monday 2 July 2007, Melbourne, Australia.

Team Mel8ourne announces their first keynote speaker and Emperor sponsor
for linux.conf.au 2008. With seven months to go, they're busy putting
all the pieces together to put on Australia's largest conference for
Free and Open Source Software contributors. This is the pre-eminent
event for the Australian Free and Open Source Software community.

Bruce Schneier, a highly respected author and security technologist,
will deliver a keynote address at the conference in January 2008 at the
University of Melbourne.

The call for proposals for linux.conf.au 2008 opened on June 1st, and
will close on Friday July 20. Donna Benjamin, Conference Director says
"We're astounded by the response to the call to participate in LCA2008.
We've already had 15 proposals for mini-confs, and there are whispers a
few more proposals are on their way. People have also started submitting
talks and tutorials for the main conference, and we expect these to
start flooding in now, with less than 4 weeks left until we close the
call for presentations."

"Putting on a conference of this scale is an enormous challenge," said
Benjamin, "it's only made possible with the support of key sponsors
focused on developing the Open Source industry. IBM is a long standing
supporter of linux.conf.au, and I'm really pleased to announce they're
behind us for linux.conf.au 2008 in Melbourne next year."

Hugh Blemings, Open Source Hacker at IBM A/NZ said "IBM's continuing
commitment to Linux and the Open Source Community is key to our strategy
to make open standards-based Linux hardware, software and services more
accessible. Our involvement is extensive, with around 900 engineers
across 40 locations worldwide contributing to open source community
projects and events."

linux.conf.au is an initiative of Linux Australia, and is run each year
by a different team of volunteers, in a different Australasian city. In
2008, the conference returns to its birthplace in Melbourne. From
January 28 to February 2, the University of Melbourne will be the
location for one of the world's most brilliant gatherings of Free and
Open Source Software developers, users and devotees.

For more information, see the website: http://linux.conf.au/

About linux.conf.au
-------------------
linux.conf.au (http://linux.conf.au/) is Australia's annual technical
conference about Free Software. Fun, informal and seriously technical,
linux.conf.au draws together Free and Open Source Software developers
from across the world. It will be held from January 28th to February
2nd, 2008 at The University of Melbourne.

About Linux Australia
Linux Australia (http://www.linux.org.au/) is the peak body for Linux
User Groups (LUGs) around Australia, and as such represents
approximately 5000 Australian Linux users and developers. Linux
Australia facilitates the organisation of this international Free
Software conference in a different Australasian city each year.

Contact:
Donna Benjamin - Conference Director
donna at mel8ourne.org - +61(0)418 310 414