Re: [Linux-aus] Grant Request: Thousand Parsec AI Competition Prizes...

Forwarding to the list because it seemed like a good idea...

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 09:45 +1030, David Lloyd wrote:
> Tim,
>
> > After a bit of discussion last night, we feel a little uncomfortable
> > with issuing a grant purely for a cash prize. However what we are really
> > looking for is community input. We want to hear from our members on this
> > one.
>
> You could turn the prize into a:
>
>   * ticket to AUUG Conference; or
>   * ticket to Linux.conf.au; or
>   * ticket to open source conference of winner's choice
>
> ...and avoid the money issue.
>
> DSL

I quite like this idea.

My personal preference would be Linux.conf.au, however tickets are much
more expensive then the original prize I was requesting. (2*~AUD $600
compared to AUD $300).

Then there is of course the problem if somebody overseas wins the prize.
A ticket to LCA is useless if you can't afford to get to the Australia
in the first place. How would this issue be solved?

Tim Ansell