[Linux-aus] Converting Linux Australia's "Committee" to a "Board"

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Mon Feb 26 13:05:10 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 14:36 +1030, David Lloyd wrote:

> I think that you are suggesting that the organisation be led by a
> council of advisors but the work be performed by those in committees who
> are, themselves, assisted by the advisors in the council.

Yes.

> You're suggesting to the organisation:
>
>   1. That a council, board or committee of advisors be elected, who act
>      as a "Governing Body"; and
>   2. That the organisation elect a Leader and Vice-Leader who act on
>      the advice of the "Governing Body" and preside over that body; and
>   3. That specific administrative roles be filled by appointment or
>      recommendation from the "Governing Body" or wider membership

Yes.

> You are asking the organisation to allow the "Governing Body" to
> delegate more power and responsibility to groups of other people, who
> are called "committees", and for the organisation to delegate its power
> to assign the responsibility for appointments -- such as treasurer and
> secretary -- to the "Governing Body".

Very accurate and concise summary, David. Spot on.

> Your reasoning is sound but do you think this feeling of "lack of
> empowerment" or "not feeling like first class citizens of the
> organisation" is because of the organisation's structure or because the
> committee -- like many if not all committees throughout the world --
> hasn't found that one perfect way to run an organisation and keep
> everyone happy?

I don't expect to find a way to keep *everyone* happy, although that
would be nice!

I won't go into it in detail here because I suspect this will be
answered by my reply a few minutes ago to Steve Hanley's questions, but
the fundamental issue is making clear what the various roles and
responsibilities entail.

Cheers  :-)
--
Jonathan Oxer