[Linux-aus] MtM - companies using foss?

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Wed Feb 21 19:51:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
> Updating some content on makethemove.net and would like to ask if people
> can list companies that utilise Linux and or open source. For example,
> Google, Ebay, Yahoo, Amazon, etc. Well known companies that people will
> recognise, and better still even used. Doesn't have to be limited to
> Internet based, though.
>
> The other thing I'm after are major players in the IT sector that use /
> support Linux, like IBM, Oracle, Dell, HP, Novell etc.
>
> And finally, distros / companies who provide commercial support for
> Linux / FOSS, such as Red Hat, Canonical, Novell, Xandros, Mandriva, etc?
>
> Can anyone think of some others?

Pixar and other Hollywood studios, Nokia, NASA, major research organisations,
2/3 of Web servers[1], and 3/4 of supercomputers[2], just to name a few. Sony
are quite supportive of it on their Playstation 2 and 3 games consoles.
Imagine how many hundreds of millions of those have been and will be sold.
They can all potentially run GNU/Linux.

Don't just focus on ICT companies. FLOSS is used everywhere, for a variety of
purposes.

People like to know how FLOSS is affecting their own backyards, and how it is
helping to further their own industries. I would suggest a section of
companies/projects for each country/region. For instance, two Australian
companies which come to mind are URSYS[3][4] and Solutions First[5].

[1] http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html
[2] http://top500.org/stats
[3] http://www.ursys.com.au
[4] Disclaimer: I work for them.
[5] http://www.solutionsfirst.com.au

--
Your toaster doesn't get a virus. Your television doesn't get a virus.
Why should your computer? http://www.makethemove.net