[Linux-aus] Open Source for Seniors

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Feb 3 19:29:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007, Andrew Swinn <andrew at swinndesign.com> wrote:
> I have been contacted by the Clubs Development Officer of the Australian
> Seniors Computer Clubs Association in regards to the possibility of setting
> up some sort of presence at a soon to be held expo. The ASCCA are an
> association providing support to many computing clubs throughout Australia.
> They hold an expo every year as part of Seniors Week and this year they are
> holding it in Dubbo.
>
> So being in Dubbo I have been asked if I could setup something about Linux
> and Open Source Software and perhaps provide a 30 min seminar on the topic.
> Seniors Week is in the middle of March so I don't have that long to
> organise things, but first stop is this mailing list to ask for
> suggestions.
>
> Being that this is senior focused there is really no room for tech talk so
> I am wondering what else is there? I am looking for suggestions for the
> best approach to this sort of thing. What topics to discuss, how to discuss
> them etc.

Most people just want their computer to get out of their way so that they can
get their work done without distractions or technicalities. Non-technical
people have an especially low tolerance for computer jargon and
complications.

Focus on ease of use, affordability and maintainability. Software is easy and
free to install with a graphical package manager. It certainly beats going to
a shop, being swindled into purchasing something expensive and possibly
inappropriate, sticking in the disc, loading the installer, clicking 'Next'
fifty times, rebooting your computer twice, then finding that the software
has taken up half of your hard drive space and slowed down your computer with
start-up items and obnoxious spyware and adware.

The system is less likely to give trouble in the long run, since it doesn't
slow down over time, it's more secure and it isn't nearly as vulnerable to
viruses. Many applications try to be consistent with others, and many
(especially GNOME apps) follow a set of human interface guidelines. Windows
applications often follow no rhyme nor reason in their designs. Even
applications from the same manufacturer (Microsoft is a prime example) can
look and behave differently.

Especially important for Seniors is accessibility. GTK+ and GNOME apps
especially have a well-developed framework for people with a variety of
impairments. Compiz/Beryl, while derided by many as pure eye-candy, possesses
features such as per-window contrast adjustment, zooming/magnification and
colour inversion. Orca, while still young, aims to do the kinds of things
that cost many thousands of dollars on Windows.

Another point to push is how well it works with existing hardware. Got an old
system running Windows 98 or 2000? Those OSs are no longer supported by MS,
but they should be adequate for installing GNU/Linux.

Push the non-technical side as well. I've heard speeches by RMS where he
compares sharing code to sharing recipes with friends and neighbours. Those
sorts of analogies allow people to connect with the concepts. You might also
wish to mention that in the free software world, the users are also part of
the development community. They are not just helpless bystanders; they can
affect the development of the software if the choose to.

If I had to choose one concept above all else to push, it would be that of
choice. It's their computer, so why should they feel forced to accept
whatever is shovelled in their direction? Avoid any 'Linux vs Windows' type
arguments. Dual booting is cool.

Finally, give them something to walk away with. An Ubuntu CD, accompanied with
a list of URLs to find out more information and to get help, would be a good
start. VMware Player, with a GNU/Linux image, is another way to try out the
system.

--
"You agree that in order to protect the integrity of content and software
protected by digital rights management ('Secure Content'), Microsoft may