[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Thu Dec 20 20:20:26 UTC 2007

Anthony Towns wrote:
>> May I present, as analogy, SAAB,
>> an acronym for Scania Automobile AB. [...]
>>

> Wikipedia expands it as "Svenska aeroplanaktiebolaget (translates to
> Swedish Aeroplane Limited)", and notes that it's treated as a proper
> noun these days rather than an acronym.

My mistake.  Thanks for pointing it out.  The 'S' does stand for
'Swedish.'  When being a car, SAAB apparently is SAAB Automobile AB.
(Swedish Aeroplane AB Automobile AB?)  Scania, which appears below SAAB
on the logo on my '96 convertible (yes! read it and weep), apparently
merged with SAAB in 1969, forming SAAB-Scania AB.  (It all makes sense
to me now.)