[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Apr 18 08:06:56 UTC 2007

<quote who="Paul Wayper">

> There seem to be a lot of hand-wringers who think that 'advertising Linux'
> is like 'advertising freedom' - no point, no specific goals, no 'how does
> this change your life' message, and we're not reaching the 'target
> audience'.  It's a very important criticism, except for the fact that all
> these are fairly easily rebuttable.

I thought the idea of pissing money away on television advertising was the
most egregious misunderstanding of promotional cost/benefit for FLOSS thus
far... and then I heard about the outrageous idea of advertising on racing
cars.

Both are mindnumbingly silly, for many of the same reasons... I wish you
would get "more audience" out of your head, and start thinking about "more
value".

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

     "On Tuesday I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with Zack and two
             ladies whom I presume are gracious." - Seth Schoen