Re: [Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

- I don't believe that Australia is big enough for two organizations
  which cover so much common ground.

Aren't there a lot more than two at the moment though? I can think of AUUG, LA, SAGE-AU, ACS off the top of my head.

- It confuses the Establishment.  We've heard several times from
  AGIMO, for example, that they'd far rather deal with only one open
  source group.

I have expressed my opinion of that argument in an earlier email.

- It also makes it easier to get sponsors for conferences and things.

LA doesn't appear to have any troubles getting sponsors though. I wonder if this is more of a process issue revolving around the _perceived_ worth of the two events in the minds of potential sponsors. AUUG used to do quite well with sponsors, and I'm not clear on what has changed. Can I have a hint please?

- (only now) AUUG no longer seems capable of surviving by itself.

This seems to be the real motivation here.

[snip]

- AUUG caters for proprietary UNIX.

This last one is the real issue.  I personally think it's a thing that
a successor organization could handle.  You only need to look at the
conference programmes for the last few years to see that just about
everything has been Open Source.  About the only exception has been
MacOS X.  What do people think of that?

Well, there was push back to OS X at several Linux events I attended last year. It's not free software, and that was the defining argument at the time.

Mikal