Re: [Linux-aus] linux.org.au / linux.conf.au

Julien Goodwin wrote:
I'm only looking at the LCA brand here, the "Linux Australia" brand is
seperate in my mind.

Having said they are separate, its been kind of nice over the past few years that Linux.org.au's annual conference is Linux.conf.au - kind of nomenclature symmetry. I'd suggest that this body continues with its annual conference having the same Comman Name of the organisation.

However the one alternate name for LCA that has sprung to mind is just
"open.conf.au", "a conference for open community, code & culture". It
could have a footnote of "incorperating linux.conf.au" for the first few
years. The other benefit of this name is that as an acronym it can be
said as "ocker" :-)
I like the 'incorporating' for awareness, yes... keeping this branding I think is vital for a transition. LCA is well know globally. I have random tech staff I work with in London/NYC/San Fran who know of and wish they could get to LCA. So the 'incorporating' tag line gets my thumbs up. Heck - we could even consider LCA as a mini-conf of the Australian National Free/Libre Open Source Software conference, thus moving the current mini-confs from being mini-confs of LCA.

Eg:
"The Australasian Open Source Conference, featuring Linux.conf.au, gnome.conf.au, ..."

So, following this thought:
   floss.org.au (with a redirect of linux.org.au)
   floss.conf.au (with a redirect from linux.conf.au)

Or, drop the 'Free/Libre requirement and cast the net wider, but I think this goes beyond what most LA/LCA people would work with:
oss.org.au
oss.conf.au

Whatever is chosen has to be pronouncable, and catchy if possible. Oss.conf.au almost sounds like "AusConfAu". And to be successful it has to be clear that this is the bigger, more expanded Linux.Conf.Au to not lose the awareness world-wide that LCA has.

Oh, and in doing this, streams and scheduling just got a whole lot harder. If you ran the Debian mini-conf at the same time as the Linux kernel (LCA) mini-conf, at the same time as the gnome mini-conf, at the same time.... etc you'd have a lot of disappointed people who would want ot be in more than one place at once. Not that we can stretch the larger conference out to a month of activities, as there needs to be some point where all attendees coincide (and organisers get a personal day off to avoid burn-out!). We're already at a week's worth of activities already. Two weeks and we're almost as long as Wimbledon!

JEB (core team 2003 in rehabilitation/London)

--
 James Bromberger | www.james.rcpt.to | james_AT_rcpt.to
 UK Cell: +44 7952042920 | Perth/Au phone in London/UK: +61 8 6424 9325

begin:vcard
fn:James Bromberger
n:Bromberger;James
adr:;;;London;Greater London;;United Kingdom
email;internet:james@rcpt.to
tel;cell:+447952042920
note:GPG: 3F2C F8FD B2D5 AA35 C81A  F914 A5F2 7028 0917 A9E4
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.james.rcpt.to
version:2.1
end:vcard