[Linux-aus] Re: Article in BRW: Free Software Threat

On 9/4/06, Donna Benjamin <donna@mel8ourne.org> wrote:
Printed in BRW Issue August 31 2006, Page 18.

Free Software Threat
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Legislation being drafted by the federal Attorney General's department
could threaten the legality of open-source software, forcing companies
to start paying millions of dollars for licensed that they currently get
free.

Anyone know which legislation this article refers to? The FTA copyright stuff?

The new laws could drive up technology costs for Australian companies and add to the $20 billion information and communications technology trade deficit.

Use of open-source software, which is distributed under public licence
(unprotected by copyright laws), is growing worldwide.

As we all know this is incorrect, but it's a minor error :)

Linux, the open-source operating system for servers is one example. Research group IDC predicts that 29% of servers in 2008 will ship will be shipped with Linux. An estimated one million copies of OpenOffice.org, a free alternative to Microsoft Office, have been downloaded on Australia's 10 million PCs.

Interesting numbers. I wonder if we'll have a "Which OS do you run?" question in the 2011 Census :)

andrew

-- Andrew Donnellan http://andrewdonnellan.com http://ajdlinux.blogspot.com Jabber - ajdlinux@jabber.org.au GPG - hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0x5D4C0C58 ------------------------------- Member of Linux Australia - http://linux.org.au Debian user - http://debian.org Get free rewards - http://ezyrewards.com/?id=23484 OpenNIC user - http://www.opennic.unrated.net